Tyner Blain is well into its fifth year, and I’m thrilled to say, going strong. The Tyner Blain blog turns 5 tomorrow – on Nov 24th 2010! Thanks so much to everyone who comes here to share, learn, teach, critique, and read!
Over Five Years
I created the blog here five years ago, and I couldn’t have realized then how valuable it would be to me. Here’s what I wrote at the time:
I have two goals for this blog.
- Make a positive impact on the community that cares about creating great software by stimulating thought, provoking debate, and sharing ideas.
- To become better at what I do. Writing helps me form better thoughts, and learning from the comments of readers makes me that much better.
If one person reads this blog and has a novel idea, or improves their team’s performance, or makes their software easier to use, I consider that a win.
Those two goals still represent the vision for what I’m trying to accomplish with the blog. However, over time, two tangible and practical benefits have also emerged. They are the effect in the cause and effect of focusing on these two goals.
- Forming great relationships. I’ve made many friends and colleagues of people who I’ve met because of this blog. I know that some of these relationships will continue for many years. I missed having great professional relationships with co-workers (back when I worked for “the man”), and now, even as an independent consultant, thanks to the blog, I can still have these rewarding relationships.
- Finding great professional opportunities. Most of my recent professional engagements have come from conversations that started because of what I’ve written here. When I first started writing these articles, my mom asked me, very concerned, why I would “give it away for free” – wouldn’t that hurt my business? No, in fact, it dramatically helps my business. Add my story to the data points from Seth Godin and David Meerman Scott and a host of others.
Over the course of these five years, I’ve written 748 articles (including this one), covering product management, business analysis, agile, user experience, and a number of other interesting to me topics.
- Number of articles published: 748
- Number of words – 707 words per article on average – over 500,000 words total (to date)
- Page views – 1,035,761 (as of 17 Nov, 2010, with no data from the first 6 months, reported by Google Analytics)
- Subscribers – ~4300 by RSS
I still believe I have the right vision statement for the Tyner Blain blog, so that won’t change. Otherwise – more of the same until I hear differently. Let me know what you’d like to see…
Thanks again, so much, for your time & more importantly engagement. I get more out of this than you (singular), and I’m humbled by the level of attention my writing gets here.
Thank you very much, and stick around for the next five years!