Scott has been helping companies achieve Software Product Success since 1997, and started Tyner Blain in 2005. Scott is a product management and strategy consultant. He has also worked as a business analyst, technical consultant, software developer, project manager, program manager, and electro-mechanical design engineer. Scott has managed teams from 5 to 50, and delivered millions of dollars in value to his customers.
Here are some recent recommendations from clients of Tyner Blain.
If you are on LinkedIn, you can see additional recommendations for Scott.
Large companies face significant challenges, adapting to competitive threats and changing markets. They also face unique challenges in orchestrating large global teams, cutting through bureaucracy and politics to overcome the forces of corporate inertia to achieve significant goals. The IT departments in these companies typically spend most of their budgets “keeping the lights on” in support of existing applications, while their most important efforts are in enabling the business to change and adapt and take advantage of market opportunities. Scott, through Tyner Blain, has had the privilege of working with the following outstanding companies:
- Hewlett Packard (www.hp.com) – Product management for multiple products, and training of product and engineering teams in migration from waterfall to agile processes for the Palm group.
- Health Net (https://www.healthnet.com/portal/home.do) – Assessment and recommendations for process improvement for complex legacy systems and offshore development.
- Mass Mutual (www.massmutual.com) – Training on Scrum and initial story workshop for a team kicking off a new project.
- Zappos (www.zappos.com) – Provided product management, market analysis, KPI and metric development driving 2010 and 2011 website product roadmap.
- Orange (www.orange.ch) – Coaching / Training for business process analyst team.
- Initiate, an IBM Company (www.initiate.com) – Provided mentoring, coaching, helping product team transition from waterfall to agile development processes.
- Dell (www.dell.com) – Supported major global and regional strategic initiatives for the Dell Financial Services (DFS), small to medium business (SMB), reseller channel, and enterprise architecture & business architecture teams.
- Identified and documented strategic and detailed requirements to drive deployment of a customer master (MDM) solution to support multiple divisions of Dell.
- Documented and designed business processes and detailed requirements to drive IT support of the Sales Process Transformation program, changing the dynamic of call-center operations for Dell’s SMB group.
- Developed requirements in support of multiple initiatives for Dell’s reseller channel, eliciting, reconciling and prioritizing varying global market needs by geographic region.
- Documented strategic vision, developed supporting analyses, interviewed stakeholders, socialized ideas in support of global enterprise sales platform initiative for enterprise architecture team.
- Pacific Life Insurance Company (www.pacificlife.com) – Lead business analyst team in development of processes, use cases, business rules and user needs to support a multi-year software migration project revamping Pacific Life’s sales force compensation system.
- Avaya (www.avaya.com) – Improved the IT team’s ability to focus on top-priority capabilities, to automate testing and delivery of complex software that supports their entire sales force and processes all product orders.
Start-ups and Services Providers
Start-ups face different challenges than their larger competitors. Smaller companies employ half of all workers, and create 75% of new jobs in the USA. They thrive by finding new markets and new opportunities within existing markets. For a start-up, survival is dependent on making the right choices – building the right products, targeting the right markets, and hiring the right people to make it all happen. A start-up CEO is further challenged with managing all of this against restrictive cash-flow constraints (both managing burn rate and racing to achieve positive cash flow).
Services companies providing third-party consulting services invest in and develop long term relationships with their clients. They are ideally positioned to address their client’s most important problems. Service providers frequently engage Scott to provide specific expertise in support of their clients.
Through Tyner Blain, Scott has had the privilege of working with the following exciting and innovative companies:
- Enthiosys (enthiosys.com) – Provided agile product management coaching and Scrum training for Enthiosys clients.
- OtherInbox (otherinbox.com) – Developed personas, product pricing and positioning, capability prioritization, and business-model / cost analysis.
- MCG International (mcgllc.net) – Analyzed business processes and requirements, interviewed stakeholders and subject matter experts to develop use cases, domain diagrams, and detailed requirements for a billing application as a component of an online transaction processing (OLTP) solution for a leading provider of prepaid debit cards and services.
- Seilevel (www.seilevel.com) – Worked with Seilevel consultants to help their clients redefine the way they create software requirements to achieve significant ROI on their projects.
- Headspring Systems (www.headspringsystems.com) – Helped Headspring improve the way they assess and approach requirements as part of developing best-in-class development practices and engagement models.
- Versata (www.versata.com) – Helped Versata consultants to organize, manage, and communicate requirements as part of developing and customizing solutions for their customers.
- Probusoft (www.probusoft.com) – Helped Probusoft refine their understanding of their target users and prioritize product requirements and features to best meet the needs of their customers.
Tyner Blain LLC
Tyner Blain LLC was founded on May 5th, 2005. Tyner Blain provides product management, business analysis, and software development process improvement services to companies large and small, on initiatives from the strategic to the tactical. Scott is also available for white-label (3rd party) consulting engagements to help consulting companies deliver best-in-class services to their clients.
Tyner Blain can help you execute on a critical project, demonstrate a “better way” to change your organization, and participate in strategic initiatives – bringing an unbiased perspective and dedication to complex and difficult projects.
More Resources About Scott Sehlhorst
Scott maintains a profile with more historical professional details on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/sehlhorst.
Contact Scott at [scott at tynerblain dot com]