In lieu of an article today, we’re updating our theme. There are a bunch of minor improvements, and two major ones. New visitors and regular members of the community should both benefit from the changes.
New User Benefits
We’ve updated the navigation fairly dramatically (and some additional tweaks will quietly sneak in over the coming days).
- Easy to find items at the top of every page, including:
- Explanations about subscribing to Tyner Blain.
- Our “About” pages.
- A handy link to the Foundation Series articles where you can find introductory posts that support most of the articles here.
- An “all articles” link – this one is a monster, showing every article under every category. Hundreds of links, but fun for topical browsing.
- A “top twenty” link, showing the twenty articles that have been viewed the most (since Feb 17th). This list is dynamically calculated, so check back every once and a while to see if there’s a new “winner.”
Community Member Benefits
We’ve made it easier to join in on the conversation!
When you comment on an article, you have the option of being notified whenever someone else comments on that article. You don’t need to worry about forgetting to come back and check to see if anyone has responded – now we’ll tell you.
Other Minor Improvements
We’ve made a handful of other improvements
- New fonts and sizes to make it easier to read, especially on higher resolution monitors or with older eyeballs.
- Changed the layout to make it easier to focus on the articles.
- Updated the sidebar to get the most important links in the easiest to find places.
- Optimized some queries and page structure to improve rendering times.
- Slightly improved the layout when printing an article (more improvements to come in the future).
Give Us Your Feedback
Let us know what you like, what you hope we’ll change next, and please let us know if there was something you liked better “before.”
Also – please submit any “bugs” you see – we can’t test every browser on every platform, and we may have missed something.
Thanks all for your continued reading and participation in the great discussions. It is exciting and humbling to be a part of this!